- 1 Lebanese cucumber, washed and cut into a fine dice
- 1/2 bunch chives finely chopped
- 500gm skinned and boned kingfish loin
- 1 tablespoon @awesomefoodco EVO oil + juniper
- Gin and grapefruit granita
- ½ telegraph cucumber, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 60mls Portofino Dry Gin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 heaped tablespoon white sugar
- 200mls tonic water
- Juice of half a ruby grapefruit ( approx 60 mls )
- Gin cure
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 star anise
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Zest 1 lemon
- Zest 1/2 ruby grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the granita, dissolve the sugar in water over heat, once dissolved tip into a jug with the gin, ruby grapefruit juice and stirring in tonic water.
Transfer to a 20cm x 30cm shallow tray and freeze, stirring and scraping occasionally with a fork, until ice crystals form (3-4 hours)
For the gin cure, grind the fry spices with salt to a fine powder, add in the ginger, zest , sugar and gin and continue to pound to a smooth paste. Place kingfish on a non-reactive container and pat the cure mix evenly on both sides. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
Wipe excess cure from kingfish with paper towels and pat dry. Cut kingfish into 2-3 mm slices, brush platter with the Evo + Juniper oil, arrange fish on top of oil, top with granita, diced cucumber, chives and sea salt flakes.